Biology

Biology involves the study of all living things.

Studying biology will allow you to explore the cutting edge of research, technology, and medicine. Biology involves solving the problems around life processes and structures in both plants and animals.

Biology will allow you to understand how your body works, how we impact the environment, and explore the forefront of genetics and biotechnology.

Jobs directly related to biology include:

Jobs where biology would be useful include:

Biology is offered at National 4, National 5, Higher, and Advanced Higher. Some general information about the courses is given below and more can be found on the SQA Biology website https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/45723.html for National 4, National 5, and Advanced Higher.
For Higher Human Biology see https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/46448.html

National 4 Biology National 5 Biology Higher Human Biology Advanced Higher Biology
3 units:

– Cell biology

– Multicellular organisms

– Life on earth

3 units:

– Cell biology

– Multicellular organisms

– Life on earth

3 units:

– Human cells

– Physiology and health

– Neurobiology and immunology

3 units:

– Cells and proteins

– Organisms and evolution

– Investigative biology

Pupils must pass 3 unit assessments and complete an assignment (AVU) to gain their course award. These are internally assessed. Pupils must pass a final exam which accounts for 80% of their final mark and an assignment which is externally assessed which accounts for the other 20%. Pupils must pass a final exam which accounts for 80% of their final mark and an assignment which is externally assessed which accounts for the other 20%. Pupils must pass a final exam worth 75% of their final mark and complete a research project worth the other 25% of their final mark.
Back to Top